A soap sack (or soap sachet) is not a necessary thing, but it is a fun addition to a spa set as a gift to someone (or yourself) with a nice bar of soap tucked inside.
This project is quick and easy to knit in organic cotton. The dropped stitches are decorative and also give the soap suds a handy way to escape.
- 25 yards worsted weight organic cotton yarn (I used Lion Brand Organic Cotton in color 002, Almond)
- one pair size 6 US needles
- yarn needle
About four stitches and five rows per inch in pattern. Gauge is not critical. Project will stretch slightly if needed.
Finished size when flat is six inches around and five inches tall after sewing. Knitted piece before sewing is three inches wide and 10 inches long.
- Cast on 15 stitches.
- Knit four rows in stockinette stitch.
- On the next row, knit two together, yarn over across, ending with a yarn over and knitting the last stitch.
- Purl across the next row.
- Continue in stockinette stitch for four more rows.
- On the next row, knit each stitch, wrapping the yarn twice around the needle when forming each stitch.
- Purl the next row, dropping the extra loop.
- Continue in this manner, knitting four rows in stockinette and wrapping and dropping, until piece measures nine inches from beginning.
- Repeat step three.
- Knit four more row in stockinette.
- Bind off. Cut yarn, leaving a long tail.