Broken rib is a very easy knitting stitch pattern that only involves two repeating rows--and one of them is a knit row!
This simple washcloth or dishcloth pattern is very quick to knit and suitable for beginners or anyone who likes quick projects.
- one 2.5 ounce skein of 100 percent cotton yarn (I used Lily Sugar'n Cream in color 00083, Cornflower Blue)
- one pair size 7 US needles
- crochet hook or yarn or tapestry needle
20 stitches and 27 rows per four inches in pattern.
Finished size is 12.25 inches wide and 11 inches long.
- Cast on 61 stitches.
- Row one: Knit across. This is the right, or front, side.
- Row two: Knit one (purl one, knit one) across.
- Continue these two rows for pattern until you are almost out of yarn.
- Bind off.
- Trim any excess yarn and weave in ends.
About the Yarn:
Lily Sugar'n Cream is a classic 100 percent cotton yarn that is often used for projects like washcloths and dishtowels. It is very durable and inexpensive.
To care for your finished washcloth, machine or hand wash in cold water. You might want to wash it with like colors the first time, as some colors may run. Machine dry on low or allow to air dry. Reshape if necessary by gently pulling on the work. Do not bleach.