I don't know if it's possible to have to many handknit hats; certainly not when one of them is this cute cabled hat suitable for a teen or a woman with a smallish head.
Featuring really basic cable twists, this hat is a great first cable project for people already knowledgeable in the skills required to knit in the round. The worsted yarn makes this a quick project that you're sure to use throughout the winter months.
- one hank Lion Brand LB Collection Organic Wool (I used Eggplant) or about 95 yards of your favorite medium weight wool yarn
- set of 5 size 9 US double-pointed knitting needles (can also be worked with a short circular needle and DPNs for the crown shaping)
- cable needle or additional double-pointed needle of smaller size
- scissors and yarn needle
21 stitches and 23 rows per 4 inches in cable pattern (5.25 stitches and 5.75 rows per inch).
Finished hat is about 16.5 inches around at the base (unstretched) and about 7.5 inches tall. To fit a teenager or small adult.
Instructions for Beginning of Hat:
- Cast on 81 stitches. Divide onto 4 needles, join in round and place a stitch marker to mark the end of the round, if desired.
- Work in knit 1, purl 1 ribbing for 4 rows.
- Next round, *knit 6, purl 3. Repeat from * around. Repeat this row twice more.
- Next round, *place 3 stitches on cable needle and hold in back. Knit 3, then knit 3 from cable needle. Purl 3, then place 3 stitches on cable needle and hold in front. Knit 3, then knit 3 from cable needle. Repeat from * around, ending with a back crossing cable.
- Repeat these 4 rounds until piece measures about 6 inches from beginning, ending with a cable cross round.
- Next round, *knit 6, purl 2 together, purl 1. Repeat from * around. 72 stitches remain.
- Work two rounds plain, followed by the cable crossing round.
- Next round, *knit 6, purl 2 together. Repeat from * around; 63 stitches.
- *Knit 5, knit 2 together. Repeat from * around; 54 stitches.
- *Knit 4, knit 2 together. Repeat from * around; 45 stitches.
- *Knit 3, knit 2 together. Repeat from * around; 36 stitches.
- *Knit 2, knit 2 together. Repeat from * around; 27 stitches.
- *Knit 2 together. Repeat from * around; 14 stitches.
- Cut yarn, thread onto yarn needle. Slip stitches from needles onto yarn, pull tight and weave in ends.