Making your own pillow forms is necessary when you knit a pillow that is not a standard size (which is common if you're knitting a pillow to be felted, for example).
Making pillows just the size and shape you want is one of the benefits of knitting your own home decor. The good news is that making your own pillow forms for your knitting projects is very quick and easy.
- Cut out two pieces of fabric that are the same size as the front of your pillow.
- Stack the pieces on top of each other with the outside of the fabric facing in and pin, if desired.
- Using a sewing machine (or needle and thread) sew a seam a half inch from the edge on three sides, and about halfway across the fourth side. Trim excess thread.
- Turn the form right side out and stuff with fiber stuffing.
- Use a needle and thread to hand stitch the rest of the pillow form closed.
- Smooth out the stuffing so the pillow is a uniform thickness.
- Use as an insert in a knit pillow case.
- Don't overstuff your pillow. You want it to feel plump, but not too firm.
- Absolute perfection is not required. If you hate sewing by hand, go ahead and machine sew the last bit of the form closed. Yes you'll be able to see the stitches, but they'll be covered up by your pillow cover anyway.
What You Need
- Enough 100 percent cotton fabric to make the size pillow you need.
- Matching sewing thread.
- Sewing machine (optional).
- Sewing needle.
- Straight pins (optional).
- Batting or fiber stuffing.