This two-color striped stocking is a fun and colorful way to celebrate the season. Worked with bulky yarn on good-sized needles, it's a pretty quick project that can be knit in any two colors you like -- go with holiday classics or choose your team's favorite colors for a more personalized look.
The design is pretty straightforward but uses a short row heel rather than the more common heel flap. If you'd rather, you can use a heel flap and traditional turned heel, but it will require more yarn.
- About 115 yards each of two colors of bulky wool (or acrylic, if you prefer a washable stocking)
- set of 5 size 9 US (5.5 mm) double-pointed knitting needles
- scissors and yarn needle
16 stitches and 20.5 rounds in Stockinette Stitch in the round (4 stitches and just over 5 rounds per inch). Gauge is not critical.
Finished stocking is about 13 inches around and 22 inches long from cuff to toe.
Beginning the Stocking:
- In first color, cast on 50 stitches. Divide onto 4 double-pointed needles (12, 13, 12, 13 stitches) and join in round, being careful not to twist. Place a marker to indicate the end of the round, if desired.
- Work knit 1, purl 1 ribbing for 8 rounds.
- Change to second color and work in Stockinette Stitch 8 rounds.
- Work 8 rounds in Stockinette in red, white, and so on until you have 8 stripes total (counting the ribbing).
Working the Heel:
- Change colors and begin working back and forth on 25 stitches as follows.
- Knit 24, turn.
- Yarn over, purl 23, turn.
- Yarn over, knit 22, turn.
- YO, P 21, turn.
- YO, K 20, turn.
- YO, P 19, turn.
- YO, K 18, turn.
- YO, P 17, turn.
- YO, K 16, turn.
- YO, P 15, turn.
- YO, K 14, turn.
- YO, P 13, turn.
- YO, K 12, knit 2 together, turn.
- YO, P 13, purl 2 together through back loop, turn.
- YO, K 14, knit 3 together, turn.
- YO, P 15, purl 3 together through back loop, turn.
- YO, K 16, k3tog, turn.
- YO, P 17, p3tog tbl, turn.
- YO, K 18, k3tog, turn.
- YO, P 19, p3tog tbl, turn.
- YO, K 20, k3tog, turn.
- YO, P 21, p3tog tbl, turn.
- YO, K 22, k3tog, turn.
- YO, P 23, p3tog tbl, turn.
- YO, K 24, k3tog, turn.
- YO, P 25, p3 tog tbl.
- Next, YO, knit across all but the last of the heel stitches (last stitch is a yarn over), slip the YO onto the next needle and knit 2 together. Work across to the last stitch of the leg, slip the first YO onto that needle and slip, slip, knit. 50 stitches remain.
Knitting the Foot:
- Continue with the same color used to work the heel and work five more stripes. Change colors again to work the toe.
- On needle 1, knit 1, ssk, knit to end. Needle 2, knit to within 3 stitches of end, k2tog, knit 1. Repeat on needles 3 and 4.
- Repeat this round 7 more times. 20 stitches remain.
- Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. Thread onto yarn needle. Slip stitches from needles onto yarn needle and pull yarn tight, securing the bottom of the toe.