This easy knit two-color Christmas stocking is one of those last-minute gifts that's pretty easy to churn out in a couple of evenings. Or make a bunch through the fall to present to everyone who'll be at your house for the holidays.
The slender size makes it particularly quick knitting, but it's the perfect size for small gifts or even little balls of yarn.
- one skein each of Lamb's Pride Bulky from Brown Sheep Company in two colors of your choice (I used Cranberry Swirl and Royal Purple Flutter) or about 100 yards for main color and 60 yards for contrasting color of your favorite bulky wool
- two 10.5 US circular needles, any cable length, or one set size 10.5 double-pointed needles
- scissors and yarn needle
14 stitches and 20 rows per 4 inches (3.5 stitches and 5 rows per inch) in Stockinette Stitch in the round. Gauge is not critical.
Finished stocking is 21 inches long from top to toe with cuff portion unfolded. Leg is 10 inches around.
Instructions for Stocking Leg:
- Cast on 35 stitches in contrasting color. Work flat in Garter Stitch for 3 inches.
- Join in round being careful not to twist stitches. Distribute relatively evenly among needles.
- Work in Stockinette Stitch in main color for 9 inches.
Heel Flap and Turning the Heel:
- Change back to contrasting color and, working on 16 stitches, knit flat in Garter Stitch for 16 rows.
- On the next row, Knit 10, slip, slip, knit, knit 1, turn.
- Next row, slip 1, knit 5, knit 2 together, knit 1, turn.
- Slip 1, knit 6, ssk, knit 1, turn.
- Slip 1, knit 7, k2tog, knit 1, turn.
- Slip 1, knit 8, ssk, knit 1, turn.
- slip 1, knit 8, k2tog.
- Next row, change to main color, knit straight across. Pick up 8 stitches along side of heel flap, knit across the leg stitches, and pick up 8 stitches on the other side of the heel.
Knitting the Foot:
- If working on double-pointed needles, put all the gusset and heel stitches on one needle. The new end of the round is the end of the heel stitches. Place a stitch marker if desired.
- Knit across the first gusset stitches to the last three stitches, knit 2 together, knit 1. Knit straight across the leg stitches. At the beginning of the next gusset portion, knit 1, slip, slip, knit, then knit to the end of the round.
- Knit the next row with no decreases. Repeat these 2 rows until 35 stitches remain.
- Work in Stockinette Stitch until foot measures 6 inches from heel.
Knitting the Toe:
- Change to your contrasting color. At the end of the first needle, knit to last 3 stitches, knit 2 together, knit 1. At the beginning of the next needle, knit 1, slip, slip, knit, work to last 3 stitches, knit 2 together, knit, 1. Beginning of next needle, knit 1, slip, slip, knit, finish the round. (These instructions vary slightly if using double pointed needles, just make sure you're pairing decreases at the sides of the foot.)
- Knit next round.
- Repeat 2 rounds until 15 stitches remain. Work just round 1 2 times more (7 stitches).
- Cut yarn, put on yarn needle, thread stitches through and pull tight. Weave in ends.
You can leave the contrasting part at the top unseamed and fold it over the leg, or sew it shut along the opening.
To hang the stocking, work a piece of I-cord or a Garter Stitch cord about 4 stitches wide and as long as you like. Sew it onto the top of the stocking from the inside and hang.