Green Knitting, Green Drinking:
We all know that it's best not to use bottled water because of the resource-intensive nature of plastic production and because so few bottles ever get recycled. This Water Bottle Cozy should make it easier to break the habit by making it easier to tote around your metal water bottle when walking or heading to work.
This free knitting pattern is extra cool because it's knit with Caron Simply Soft Eco, a yarn that is made in part with recycled plastic bottles.
- about 50 yards Caron Simply Soft Eco, or medium weight acrylic or acrylic blend of your choice
- set of 4 size 8 US double-pointed knitting needles
- scissors and yarn needle
- I-cord maker, optional
About 17 stitches and 18 rows per 4 inches in Turkish Stitch in the round, unstretched. Gauge is not critical, project will stretch considerably.
About 9 inches tall and 5 inches around unstretched. To fit an average size metal water bottle. Size can easily be altered by knitting more or fewer rows in base and/or in body.
- Cast on 9 stitches. Divide onto 3 needles, join in round and knit 1 round.
- Knit in the front and back of each stitch, 18 stitches.
- Knit 3 rounds.
- Knit in the front and back of each stitch, 36 stitches.
- Knit 4 rounds.
- Knit 1, *yarn over, knit 2 together. Repeat from * around, ending knit 1.
- Repeat this round until piece measures 5 inches, or an inch or so shorter than your bottle (it will stretch when carried with strap).
- Using an I-cord maker or working by hand, make an I-cord about 30 inches long, or length of your choice.
- Sew strap to inside top of carrier. Insert bottle, drink happily.