Keep Your Drink Warmer:
One of the most annoying things about drinking hot coffee or tea is that it gets cold too quickly to enjoy it. Wrapping your mug up in a little knit cozy can help it stay toasty a little longer.
This is an Irish coffee cozy because it's knit from a multi-colored green yarn, which makes it perfect for celebrating St. Patrick's Day, but knit in any color this is a practical project that you'll be glad to have wrapped around your mug.
- about 20 yards of a bulky wool yarn (I used Knit Picks' Wool of the Andes Bulky in color Ireland)
- one pair size 10.5 US needles
- yarn needle
- coffee mug
14 stitches and 20 rows per four inches (3.5 stitches and 5 rows per inch) in Stockinette Stitch. Gauge is not critical.
Unstretched, the finished project is 3.25 inches tall and 9 inches around. It easily fits a standard-sized coffee mug.
- Cast on 30 stitches.
- Knit in Stockinette Stitch until piece it 3.25 inches long.
- Bind off.
- Cut yarn, leaving a tail to sew side. Fold project in half.
- Thread tail onto yarn needle and stitch the side together for about three stitches at the bottom. Weave in the end.
- Repeat at top.
- Slip over coffee mug, slipping the handle through the hole in the side. Fill with your favorite beverage.