1. Home

Sarah E. White

What Are Your Knitting Resolutions for 2013?

By December 31, 2012

It's that time of year when we both look back and look ahead at things we've done and things we'd like to do in the coming year. If you're a crafter, no doubt at least some of your goals have to do with projects you'd like to make or skills you'd like to learn.

As usual, I would really love to knit more of other people's patterns this coming year. That didn't really work out last year because I was writing a book, but I always have a lot of fun when I can relax and be led my someone else's pattern.

I'd also like to try to knit some things I've never done before, like a skirt. Not sure I'll really go through with that one!

What are your knitting resolutions this year? The poll allows for multiple answers and if you want to be more specific (what kind of skills do you want to learn, for instance) or have a resolution that didn't fit in my list, please share in the comments. I'd love to be able to help people who make specific requests!

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who have read the site in the past year. It means so much to me that you're interested in what I'm doing and that you can learn from me! Best wishes for lots of great knitting in the new year.

Comments

December 31, 2012 at 2:53 pm
(1) mireille says:

For the umpteenth year in a row, i want to do more with colorwork.

January 2, 2013 at 6:29 am
(2) Hamimono says:

Happy New Year, Sarah!

This year I actually went over to the Dark Side (not entirely!) and learned how to crochet. Am enjoying the stitch stability and ability to freeform/improvise/sculpt the fabric without much preplanning. Need to build on those skills.

With knitting, I want to knit faster. An English (“throwing”) knitter by inclination, I have learned Continental (“picking”) but haven’t practiced it enough to really gain the speed I want. 2013 is my year for speedy knitting!

(So much knitting to do, so little time!)

January 4, 2013 at 10:53 am
(3) Patti says:

The past two years I challenged myself to learn to knit socks and I love knitting them! I also organized my knitting stash by putting it all in two containers (out of numerous knitting bags) and making an index card file of each yarn telling the name, the amount, the fiber content, the weight, and potential projects. I strung a yarn across the card for reference. I can’t tell you how much this has helped me plan new projects! So THIS year, I want to finish a sweater I started 3 years ago and to plan upcoming projects using my current stash. I think I will challenge myself to 12 projects. Thank you for helping me to organize my thoughts about this year’s knitting!!

January 7, 2013 at 1:09 pm
(4) Roxanne says:

Would like to keep working on cables. Have been facinated by them every since I started knitting over 50 years ago. Would like to known as the “Cable Lady”….

January 7, 2013 at 1:54 pm
(5) Aly says:

I sell what I make as a donation for the Relay For Life (American Cancer Society) – I need to organize what I make so that I have more to sell. AZ is not cold most of the year, but handwarmers and scarfs are still great gifts for people. I want to learn to do double sided color work this year.

January 7, 2013 at 1:56 pm
(6) Viola says:

Happy New Year Sarah, and thank you for all the wonderful tips etc you share so kindly. I know I appreciate it very much as I am sure many others do also.

For me, I started knitting for the first time in March 2012 so regard myself very much as a beginner still with so much to learn! It seems never ending the amount that can be learnt and so far all I seem to have discovered is there is a myriad of stuff I have yet to discover! Still, it has been a lovely beginning and I have made many hats (my favourite so far), one pair of socks, numerous scarves, my first woven tea cosy, my first jumper and a cpl of pairs of mittens. Also, I have just started learning lace knitting.

My resolution this year is to learn double knitting. I knit English style so I want to learn continental so I can double knit properly. I tried Brioche the other day for the first time and love that stitch so am awaiting my Natalie Marchant book to explore that stitch further.

I also resolve to do more fair isle, cables and intarsia. On top of that, I want to master entrelac. Hmm…right now some wool is on its way so I can attempt my first skirt…the Bryn Mawr pattern from Interweave magazine. This will of course require lining so another new skill to be explored.

Erm….that should keep me going for a while!! ;-) I also have a mental list of patterns I need to make for gifts for family members and friends.

So by this time next year I will be at the very least able to knit with both hands at once with two balls of yarn, at least, that are not tangled all over the place. There. How does that sound? Oh, as well as finding the penultimate manual on fixing mistakes in complex patterns..any ideas?

January 7, 2013 at 2:02 pm
(7) Sarah C says:

If there’s something in my yarn stash that I really don’t like, I will donate it to a local not-for-profit. Life is too short to knit with anything less than wonderful yarn. And what seems boring to me may be wonderful to a worthy organization.

January 7, 2013 at 2:22 pm
(8) Tricia says:

resolution not to buy anymore yarn change pattern if I don’t have a certain yarn on hand. With thousands of dollars worth of yarn I think my husband would like this resolution. Happy New Year fellow knitters and crochers.

January 7, 2013 at 2:57 pm
(9) Ellen Relyea says:

I want to learn the magic loop method of knitting

January 7, 2013 at 3:54 pm
(10) Sig says:

Happy New Year, Sarah and all you other resolution making knitters! May your stash not run you over.

I see I am in the majority with my first resolutions. My “other” is that this year I will take the large bins filled with mostly cotton yarns, that I either do not like or are not my colors and try to sell them at the local flea market. They are at least garment lots, if not more.

I will go through the years and years worth of pattern books and magazines. Recycle what I am unable to give away. Does this mean I’m making room for new ones? Probably. 😉 If I find a few things that are worth saving ill scan them. It’s only pixels Alice.

I wish you all luck in this year’s endeavors. This time next year let’s check in to see how we made out.

Oh, and NO NEW YARN for at least six months….hmmm, not sure that is possible.

January 7, 2013 at 4:56 pm
(11) seattlepatricia says:

Happy new year Sarah and knitting compatriots. This is the year I’m going to organize a group of knitters to meet weekly and knit/crochet hats, scarves and leg warmers for RSVP (retired senior volunteers) for homelss children in city shelters. You just have to find the RSVP in your area, contact them with your project and then turn finished goods over to them for distribution. I’m also going to adopt a method to keep track of the yarns in my stash (and this is not the first year I’ve made this resolution!)

January 7, 2013 at 8:09 pm
(12) Susan says:

Happy New Year!

My New Years resolution is to learn how to knit socks!

January 8, 2013 at 4:25 am
(13) Jordis says:

I decided that I would knit (at least) one christmas present each month of this year – so that in december I wont be sorry about all the knitting projects I wanted to do and give to my family for christmas =o)

January 8, 2013 at 9:56 am
(14) Margaret says:

I feel that it takes me forever to get a project (I only knit socks) finished. I need to knit faster but my fingers seem to always seem to go to their normal speed which is slow!
Happy Knitting Year.

January 9, 2013 at 2:18 pm
(15) knitting says:

I love hearing what you all are planning! So inspiring! Those of you looking to pare down stash are in luck, because I’m doing the same thing so expect lots of stash-busting projects this year. I’ve actually started work on what I hope will be a gigantic garter stitch blanket that I’ll show you in a couple of weeks when I’ve made more progress. :)

January 12, 2013 at 4:48 am
(16) perla koninsky says:

I would like to receive from various sources different colours of knitting yarns to enable me to try new projects for charity items that I have in mind