1. Home

Sarah E. White

What Do You Do with Knit Swatches?

By March 31, 2009

You can't tell it yet, but this week is going to be all about different ways to use the knit swatches you might have lying around your house. Whether you just knit up simple gauge swatches to test out the yarn you're using for a pattern or you make swatches of different stitch patterns to see if you'd like to use them in a project, I'll share some ideas (and hope you'll share some, too) about how to use those extra bits of knitting.

For now, though, I'd like to know what you typically do with your knit swatches. Do you keep them? Do you rip them out? Do you knit them at all? If you're one of those who keeps the swatches and uses them in projects, I'd love to hear your ideas and add them to my own.

Comments

March 31, 2009 at 10:52 am
(1) Jan says:

I staple my swatches to the pattern, with notes about the yarn I used to make it.

March 31, 2009 at 11:21 am
(2) Marla says:

I staple mine to a blank business card, with notes about the yarn, needle size used, washing instructions.

March 31, 2009 at 11:48 am
(3) Lynne says:

I always frog mine and re-use it. With the price of yarn these days, I can’t afford to waste any of it.

March 31, 2009 at 1:14 pm
(4) Mireille says:

I’ve always frogged and re-used, but I like the idea of attaching them to the pattern sheet somehow.

April 6, 2009 at 12:40 pm
(5) mousepotato says:

I generally don’t swatch unless I have a new needle/yarn combination I haven’t used before. When I do swatch for a garment with a sleeve, I start by knitting a sleeve as my gauge swatch. Anne Bourgeois of Philosopher’s Wool teaches this technique and I have to say it works nicely, no odd swatches around.

April 6, 2009 at 2:21 pm
(6) Cathy Lewis says:

I love to make swatches of the new patterns I find. I make eight different patterns with the same color yarn and I end up with pretty drink coasters to use as gifts at holiday time.

April 6, 2009 at 2:55 pm
(7) Jackie says:

Just this week == sorted many into one large plastic container — thinking about various projects in the future: each yarn carries a memory and would like to assemble into a “memory project” of some kind

April 7, 2009 at 12:09 am
(8) Ginger says:

I usually practice a new pattern with cotton yarn and use as a dish rag (or give it away). I always need more rags as my 5 year old thinks they are the greatest thing to have in the bath. If I am using a fine yarn, they become a coster.

April 7, 2009 at 12:09 am
(9) Ginger says:

April 12, 2009 at 9:06 am
(10) Sandi says:

I always swatch (who wants to go through all the work and have a garment not fit) and then frog it and use the yarn for the item. I do make notes on the direction page as to what yarn I used, how much I used and what size needles. Then if I want to make another or someone wants to use the pattern, I have all the pertinent information readily available.