Berroco's Comfort yarn is an easy-to-use, soft and cozy yarn that's also machine washable and great for a range of projects.
The yarn comes in a range or weights from light to bulky, but this review will focus on the medium or worsted weight variety.
- Content: 50 percent super-fine nylon, 40 percent super-fine acrylic
- Yarn weight: Medium
- Gauge: Ball band says 18 stitches and 24 rows per 4 inches on size 9 US knitting needles or 20 stitches and 27 rows per 4 inches on size 8 needles; I got 19 stitches and 26 rows per 4 inches on size 8 needles
- Yardage: 210 yards per 3.5 ounce (100 gram) skein
- Color availability: 61 solids and 14 prints
- Color used in swatch: Barley (9703)
- Care instructions: Machine wash inside out, warm water; tumble dry low; do not iron or bleach
Comfort worsted is made up of 8 stands plied together, so there's a pretty big risk of splitting, but I didn't have much of a problem. This yarn was on the whole very easy and pleasant to knit with.
For an acrylic yarn it's very soft and natural feeling, almost silky in texture. It's a lot more pleasant to touch than a lot of acrylics out there, with a light and lofty feel. The stitches are very smooth and even. The Stockinette curl does not come out with blocking, but it's not major.
Uses for Comfort Worsted Weight:
Because this yarn feels so nice in your hands, I'm sure it would be great on your body as well. The great range of colors means you could make a lovely colorwork or striped sweater without much effort.
Like other acrylics and blends, I'd use this for kids' clothing, as well as for items for adults that you'd like to be rugged but still cozy. It would be great for afghans and other home projects as well.
Berroco Comfort is a great all-purpose acrylic blend that you'll find yourself turning to again and again. It's great to work with -- which is something you can't say of all acrylics -- and soft and comfortable to wear.
It retails for around $5.50 a skein, making a medium-sized sweater an investment or around $40. Not too bad for a garment you'll wear again and again and that will be super-easy to care for.