Knitting Tools and Knitting Book Reviews
By Sarah E. White, About.com Guide
In addition, you'll find a ton of knitting book reviews and reviews of other resources that can move you forward in your knitting skills or give you access to great patterns to knit in your favorite knitting genre.
- Knitting Needles
- Other Knitting Tools
- Reviews - Knitting Reference Books
- Reviews - Books for New Knitters
- Reviews - Books about Yarn
- Reviews - Books about Knitting Accessories
- Reviews - Books about Knitting for Babies and Kids
- Reviews - Books about Knitting for Men
- Reviews - Books about Knitting Socks
- Reviews - Books about Felting
- Reviews - Books about Quick or One Skein Knitting Projects
- Reviews - Knitting Fiction
- Reviews - Knitting Memoirs
There are all sorts of knitting needles to choose from, from basic aluminum needles to bamboo, wood, plastic and more. Here's a look at some of your choices and why you might choose one type over another, as well as information about knitting needle sizes and how to pick the right sized needle.
- Knitting Needle Sizes
- What Size is that Needle?
- Bamboo Knitting Needles
- Lion Brand Speed Stix
- What is a Cable Needle?
- Addi Turbo Needles
- Boye Needlemaster
- Denise Interchangeable Needles
- Knit Picks Options
- Knit Picks Options Harmony
- Knit Picks Zephryr Needles
- Addi Turbo Lace Knitting Needles
Probably the most attractive part of knitting for a lot of knitters is getting to play with the yarn. There are so many different kinds of yarn out there, it can sometimes be difficult to choose what kind of yarn to use.
Learn more about different kinds of yarn, the pros and cons of different fibers, and see reviews of different kinds of yarn here.
- Understanding Yarn Weights
- How to Substitute Yarns
- Yarn Reviews
- Knitting with Wool
- What is Mothproof Wool?
- How Should I Store My Wool?
- Knitting with Cotton
- Knitting with Bamboo Yarn
- What is Mercerized Cotton?
- What is Organic Cotton Yarn?
- Eco-Friendly Yarns
- Measuring Yardage in a Hank of Yarn
- Measuring Wraps Per Inch
- Washing Yarn
- Recycled Silk Yarn
- What is Ribbon Yarn?
- How to Make Plarn
- How to Make T-Shirt Yarn
Other Knitting Tools
Needles, yarn and books aren't the only things you need to make knitting fun. Here are some more tools you might be interested in that aren't entirely necessary but can make your life easier or help you with a particular part of the craft.
Reviews - Knitting Reference Books
The books reviewed here are how-to guides, stitch glossaries, fix-it guides, stitch pattern books and guides to designing your own knits.
- Field Guide to Knitting
- Knitting for Anarchists
- Confessions of a Knitting Heretic
- 400 Knitting Stitches
- The Knitters Book of Wool
- Fearless Knitting Workbook
- Lily Chin's Knitting Tips and Tricks
- Design It, Knit It
- Colorwork Stitches
- All About Knitting
- 101 Stitches to Knit
- Barbara Walker's Treasury of Knitting Patterns
- Knit Aid
- Knitting On, Over, Beyond the Edge
- Seven Things That Can Make or Break a Sweater
- The Best of Vogue Knitting
- The Knitters Book of Yarn
- The Knitters Guide to Combining Yarns
- Knit Tricks
Reviews - Books for New Knitters
If you're new to knitting -- no matter what your age -- these books are great ones to start you on the road to knitting success. With good instructions and fun, easy patterns, they're sure to help you get hooked on this great craft.
- Never Too Old to Knit
- Very Easy Circular Knits
- Knit Grrl and Knit Grrl 2
- Teen Knitting Club: Chill Out and Knit
- Knit Fix
- When Bad Things Happen to Good Knitters
- The Knitters Book of Yarn
- Knitting Beyond Scarves
- Vogue Knitting Stitchionary (Vol. 1-3)
- Jill Eaton's Knitting School
- Show Me How: Knitting
- The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Knitting
- Knitting in Plain English
- Knitting in Plain English
Reviews - Books about Yarn
Reviews of knitting books about yarn: how to spin it, qualities of different yarns and tons of patterns to use those yarns to their best advantage.
- A Fine Fleece
- All New Homespun Handknit
- Alt Fiber
- Beyond Wool
- Drafting: The Long and Short of It
- Dying to Knit
- Fiber Gathering
- Indigo Knits
- Knit 1, Stripe Too
- Knitting Noro
- Morehouse Farm Merino Knits
- No Sheep for You
- Respect the Spindle
- Rowan's Greatest Knits
- Start Spinning
- Start Spinning
- Teach Yourself Visually: Hand Dyeing
- The Complete Guide to Natural Dyeing
Reviews - Books about Knitting Accessories
Most knitters learn to knit scarves first, but we all need mittens and hats to match those scarves. Here you'll find reviews of knitting books about a variety of accessories, such as scarves, hats, mittens, gloves and bags.
- Knitting New Scarves
- Mostly Mittens
- Nicky Epstein's Signature Scarves
- Hat Heads
- Vogue Knitting Mittens and Gloves
- Magnificent Mittens and Socks
Reviews - Books about Knitting for Babies and Kids
Knitting for babies and young children is some of the most fun you can have knitting. Baby projects are often small and quick to knit, but sometimes they rise about utilitarian items to the level of heirlooms that will be cherished for generations. These books offer some of both.
- Chic Knits for Stylish Babies
- Easy Knits for Little Kids
- Debbie Bliss Essential Baby
- Natural Knits for Babies and Moms
- Booties, Blankets and Bears
- Vintage Knits for Modern Babies
- Knitted Critters for Kids to Wear
- Soft + Simple Knits for Little Ones
- The Expectant Knitter
- Design It, Knit It Babies
- Our Best Knit Baby Afghans Book 2
- The Knitted Teddy Bear
- Amigurumi Knits
- Charmed Knits
- Essential Knits for Kids
- Knits for Bears to Wear
- Knitted Babes
- Little Knitted Creatures
- The Best-dressed Knitted Bear
- Tag You're Knit
Reviews - Books about Knitting for Men
Whether you're a man or a woman who likes to knit for men, there are plenty of books that will help you make knits a man will actually wear.
Reviews - Books about Knitting Socks
If you've got a passion for sock knitting or want to learn what this craze is all about, these books will help guide you on your way.
- 2-At-a-Time Socks
- Favorite Socks
- Knitting Circles Around Socks
- Knitting on the Road
- Sensational/More Sensational Knitted Socks
- Sensational Slippers
- The Enchanted Sole
- The Big Book of Socks
- Knitted Socks East and West
- Socks from the Toe Up
- The Joy of Sox
- Socks a la Carte
- Sock Innovation
- Knitting Socks with Hand-painted Yarn
- Toe-Up Techniques for Hand-knit Socks
- The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook
- Teach Yourself Visually: Sock Knitting
- Stitch Style Socks
- Sock Club
- Around the World Knitted Socks
Reviews - Books about Felting
Felting is a fun way to alter your knitting by intentionally shrinking it in hot water, whether in the washing machine or in the sink. These books help you learn how to felt and show you all sorts of amazing things you can do while shrinking your knitting.
Reviews - Books about Quick or One Skein Knitting Projects
Reviews of books showcasing single-skein and quick knitting projects. These books are usually great stash busters and are full of instant gratification projects. You will also find books about knitted gifts here.
- 60 Quick Knits
- Knitted Gifts
- Knitting a Kiss in Every Stitch
- Knitting Little Luxuries
- Last Minute Knitted Gifts
- Luxury Yarn One-skein Wonders
- More Last Minute Knitted Gifts
- One Ball Knits: Accessories
- One Ball Knits: Gifts
- One Ball Knits: Purses
- One Skein
- One-skein Wonders
- Special Little Knits from Just one Skein
Reviews - Knitting Fiction
Books about knitting aren't always true -- check out some great reads from the fiction section of your local bookstore or library.
Reviews - Knitting Memoirs
Knitters love to tell their stories, whether in essay collections or in books that explain just how crazy and wonderful a knitting life can be.