This Staghorn Cable Scarf uses a relatively easy cable pattern worked on a field of Reverse Stockinette Stitch. The scarf is worked in the round, with a cable panel centered on each side, making for a super warm scarf that looks good on both sides.
This scarf is somewhat short but is a perfect length for tucking into a coat on a really cold morning.
- four skeins Alpaca With a Twist Highlander (I used color 1013, North Sea), or 580 yards of your favorite medium weight alpaca/wool blend
- one pair size 10 circular needles, 16-inch cable
- cable needle
- stitch markers (optional)
- scissors and yarn needle
13 stitches and 22 rows per 4 inches (3.25 stitches and 5.5 rows per inch) in Reverse Stockinette Stitch. Gauge is not critical.
Finished scarf is about 6 inches wide and 58 inches long. Can be made narrower by using fewer stitches between cable panels.
- Cast on 60 inches. Join in round, being careful not to twist stitches.
- If desired, place stitch markers at the beginning of the round, after 5 stitches, after 20 more stitches, 10 more stitches and 20 more stitches.
- On each round work first 5 stitches in Reverse Stockinette Stitch (purl every row), next 20 stitches in Staghorn Cable pattern (see below), next 10 stitches in Reverse Stockinette, next 20 in Staghorn cable and final 5 in Reverse Stockinette.
- Continue to work in pattern for 58 inches. Bind off.
- Weave in ends and sew up the top and bottom of the scarf, centering cables on each side.
Cable is worked on center 20 stitches on each round. Remember that you are always on the right side of the work, so this is not how the cable is worked flat.
Rounds 1, 3 and 5: Purl 2, knit 16, purl 2.
Round 2: Purl 2, knit 4, slip 2 stitches onto cable needle and hold in back, knit 2, knit 2 from cable needle (aka cable 4 back), slip 2 onto cable needle and hold in front, knit 2, knit 2 from cable needle (aka cable 4 front), knit 4, purl 2.
Round 4: Purl 2, knit 2, cable 4 back, knit 4, cable 4 front, knit 2, purl 2.
Round 6: Purl 2, cable 4 back, knit 8, cable 4 front, purl 2.