Tweed for Baby:
This Harris Tweed Rib Baby Blanket is a really cute addition to your repertoire. The ribbed, tweedy look is very masculine, but knit in pastel blue and cream, it's still perfect for a baby boy (or girl, for that matter).
This free knitting pattern involves two colors that are knit in two panels, but you could also knit it in a solid color or even in stripes for a different look.
- three skeins each of Bernat Cottontots in Blue Berry and Sweet Cream, or colors of your choice, or about 470 yards each of two colors of your favorite medium weight cotton yarn
- one pair size 7 US knitting needles
- yarn needle
18 stitches and 26 rows per 4 inches (4.5 stitches and 6.5 rows per inch) in pattern stitch.
Finished blanket is 36 inches square, a standard baby blanket size.
- Cast on 82 stitches in blue.
- Work in Harris Tweed Rib (see below) for 18 inches.
- Switch to white and continue for another 18 inches.
- Bind off. Weave in ends.
- Knit another panel in the same manner, starting with the white section and finishing with the blue.
- Sew the panels together using mattress stitch or the sewing method of your choice.
Harris Tweed Rib:
Row 1: Knit 2, *purl 2, knit 2. Repeat from * to end of row.
Row 2: Purl 2, *knit 2, purl 2. Repeat from * to end of row.
Row 3: Knit.
Row 4: Purl.
Row 5: Repeat row 1.
Row 6: Repeat row 2.
Row 7: Purl.
Row 8: Knit.
Repeat these 8 rows for pattern.