Every little one needs hats, no matter what time of year he or she was born. This hat is great for babies six months and up, or younger ones with really big heads.
Knit in organic cotton, this sweet little number is easy to knit, comfortable for baby and great for the planet as well. What could be better?
- one skein Lion Organic Cotton, or about 75 yards of any medium-weight, organic cotton yarn (I used color 002, Almond)
- set of five size 6 US double-pointed needles, or size needed to obtain gauge
- one stitch marker
- yarn needle
5 stitches and 7 rows per inch in stockinette stitch. Take time to check gauge.
Finished size is 16 inches around and 6 inches tall. Should fit a 6- to 12-month old, depending on the size of the child's head. Finished hat is quite stretchy, so it should be fine for older kids as well.
- Cast on 88 stitches. Put 22 stitches on each of 4 needles.
- Work in double rib 1 inch.
- Work in stockinette stitch (knit every row) 3 inches.
- *Knit 9, k2tog. Repeat from * across.
- Knit next row.
- *K8, K2tog. Repeat from * across.
- Knit. Continue, decreasing one stitch closer together every other row, until you complete the K5, k2tog row.
- Next, *K4, k2tog. Repeat from * across.
- Next, *K3, k2tog. Repeat from * across.
- *K2, k2tog. Repeat from * across.
- *K1, k2tog. Repeat from * across.
- *K2tog. Repeat from * across.
- Break yarn, leaving a 10 inch tail.
- Thread needle, run yarn through stitches. Pull tight. Weave in ends.