This substantial St. Patrick's Day themed washcloth is quick to make using a single motif from the Tumbling Shamrocks chart.
- 1 ball Lily Sugar'n Cream in shade 01712 Hot Green, or about 100 yards of worsted weight cotton yarn of your choice.
- pair of size 7 US (4.5 mm) knitting needles
- Scissors, tape measure, yarn needle
4 stitches and 6 rows to 1 inch in Stockinette Stitch
About 12 inches square
Sample knit by Eileen Casey
Knitting the Cloth:
- Cast on 51 stitches.
- Work in Moss Stitch for 9 rows as follows: *K1, P1, repeat from * to last stitch, K1. (Note: If you want to make a really clean edge on both sides, try slipping the first stitch knitwise and knitting the last stitch on right side rows, and slipping the first stitch purlwise and purling the last stitch on wrong side rows. If you do it, just remember that you are, and don't include those stitches in the Moss Stitch).
- Starting at right side, work 7 stitches in Moss Stitch, knit to last 7 stitches, work 7 in Moss Stitch.
- Next row: Work 7 in Moss Stitch, purl to last 7 stitches, work 7 in Moss Stitch.
- Continue working as established in Stockinette Stitch with 7 stitches of Moss on either side, until Stockinette portion measures 1.5 inches.
- Starting at right side, work 7 stitches in Moss Stitch, 5 stitches in Stockinette, 27 stitches of Shamrock Chart, starting at Row 1, 5 stitches in Stockinette, and 7 in Moss Stitch.
- Continue to work the chart, keeping 7 stitches in Moss Stitch at either edge throughout, and 5 stitches in Stockinette at either side of motif.
- When you have completed the chart, work in Stockinette for a futher 1.5 inches.
- Work 9 rows in Moss Stitch.
- Bind off, and weave in ends.