1 of 2
Knitting the Seed Stitch Washcloth
The Seed Stitch Washcloth before the border is added.
(c) Sarah E. White, licensed to About.com, Inc.
This Seed Stitch Washcloth is quick and easy to knit, and the crocheted border is pretty easy even for those who don't do a lot of crochet. The combo of Seed Stitch and crochet is nice because the knitting stitch has a look that's reminiscent of crochet.
- 32 yards main color and 20 yards contrasting color of medium-weight cotton yarn (I used Lily Sugar'n Cream in Jute and Soft Violet
- one pair size 8 US (5 mm) knitting needles
- size 7 (4.5 mm) crochet hook
- tape measure, scissors, yarn needle
Gauge is not critical, but I got 16 stitches and 24 rows per 4 inches (4 stitches and 6 rows per inch) in Seed Stitch.
Seed Stitch portion is 6.25 inches square; border adds almost an inch all around.
Knitting the Cloth:
- With main color, cast on 25 stitches.
- Knit 1, *purl 1, knit 1. Repeat from * across.
- Repeat this row until piece measures about 6.25 inches.
- Bind off in pattern. Cut yarn and weave in ends.