This Seed Stitch Washcloth is quick and easy to knit, and the crocheted border is pretty easy even for those who don't do a lot of crochet. The combo of Seed Stitch and crochet is nice because the knitting stitch has a look that's reminiscent of crochet.
- 32 yards main color and 20 yards contrasting color of medium-weight cotton yarn (I used Lily Sugar'n Cream in Jute and Soft Violet
- one pair size 8 US (5 mm) knitting needles
- size 7 (4.5 mm) crochet hook
- tape measure, scissors, yarn needle
Gauge is not critical, but I got 16 stitches and 24 rows per 4 inches (4 stitches and 6 rows per inch) in Seed Stitch.
Seed Stitch portion is 6.25 inches square; border adds almost an inch all around.
Knitting the Cloth:
- With main color, cast on 25 stitches.
- Knit 1, *purl 1, knit 1. Repeat from * across.
- Repeat this row until piece measures about 6.25 inches.
- Bind off in pattern. Cut yarn and weave in ends.