Reusable coffee cups are a popular choice for avid coffee drinkers these days, and adding a reusable sleeve like this Two-Color Coffee Cup Cozy keeps your hand comfortable without harming the planet.
The color of the stitches alternates every stitch, making for a really nice double-thick fabric that's super quick and easy to knit. A change in needle sizes halfway through the project gives it the characteristic fluted shape of a standard size to-go cup.
- about 17 yards each of two colors of medium weight wool yarn (I used Cascade 220)
- set of four size 7 US (4.5 mm) double-pointed knitting needles
- set of four size 8 US (5 mm) double-pointed knitting needles
- tape measure, scissors, yarn needle
20 stitches and 20 rows per 4 inches in two-color pattern with smaller needles (5 stitches and 5 rows per inch). Gauge is not that critical, but fabric should be firm.
Project is 4.5 inches tall and about 9 inches around at widest point. To fit a standard-sized travel coffee mug.
Knitting the Coffee Cozy:
- Cast on 43 stitches using color A (mine is red) and size 7 needles. Divide onto 3 needles and join in round, being careful not to twist. If desired, place a stitch marker to mark the end of the round.
- *Knit 1 in color A, knit 1 in color B. Repeat from * around.
- Continue knitting, changing colors each stitch, until piece measures about 2.25 inches.
- Change to size 8 needles and continue pattern as established until piece measures about 4.5 inches.
- Bind off in color A. Cut yarn and weave in ends.