The Little Check Washcloth is a quick and easy knitting pattern, worked in a basic textured stitch that is mostly Reverse Stockinette Stitch. The "wrong" side, then, is mostly Stockinette Stitch, meaning that both sides of this washcloth are attractive.
Though Stockinette Stitch has a tendency to curl, I didn't find that a problem with the cotton chenille yarn I used; feel free to add a couple of stitches on each side for a border if you're worried about curl.
- one skein Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille or about 63 yards of medium weight cotton yarn of your choice
- one pair size 7 US (4.5 mm) knitting needles
- scissors and yarn needle for finishing
Gauge is not critical, but I got 18 stitches and 22 rows per 4 inches (4.5 stitches and 5.5 rows per inch) in Little Check pattern.
Finished washcloth is about 9.5 inches square.
Knitting the Washcloth:
- Loosely cast on 41 stitches.
- Work in Little Check Pattern (below) until piece measures about 9.5 inches. I ended at the end of a pattern repeat, but you can end wherever you like, so long as it is a wrong side row.
- Bind off on the right side in purl.
- Cut yarn and weave in ends. Blocking should not be necessary.
Little Check Pattern:
Row 1 (right side): Purl.
Row 2: Knit 4, *purl 3, knit 7. Repeat from * across, ending last repeat with knit 4.
Row 3: Purl 4, *knit 3, purl 7. Repeat from * across, ending last repeat with purl 4.
Row 4: Repeat row 2.
Row 5: Purl.
Row 6: Knit.
Row 7: Knit 2, *purl 7, knit 3. Repeat from * across, ending last repeat with knit 2.
Row 8: Purl 2, *knit 7, purl 3. Repeat from * across, ending last repeat with purl 2.
Row 9: Repeat row 7.
Row 10: Knit.
Repeat these rows for pattern.