Ebook readers are a lot of fun and handy to carry around, but given that one side is all screen it's easy to worry about scratches and dings.
This Houndstooth Ebook Reader Cozy takes the worry out or traveling with your Kindle or Nook. The stranded colorwork makes the cozy double-thick, and the acrylic yarn used means it's easy to clean (though of course you could use wool or another fiber as you wish).
- about 30 yards each of two colors of medium weight yarn (I used Vanna's Choice); if you want to include the button flap you'll need about 2 more yards of each color
- one pair size 8 US (5 mm) knitting needles
- tape measure, scissors, yarn needle
- 3/4 inch button, optional
17 stitches and 18 rows per inch in Hodstooth Check (4.25 stitches and 4.5 rows per inch).
Finished cozy is 5 inches wide and 8 inches long. To cover a Kindle or Nook.
Knitting the Cozy:
- Cast on 22 stitches in color A. Keep first stitch and last stitch of each row in Stockinette Stitch in color A throughout.
- Remaining stitches are worked in Houndstooth Check as follows:
- Row 1: Knit 1 in color A, *1 in color B, 3 in color A. Repeat from * across, ending with 2 in color A.
- Row 2: Purl *3 in color B, 1 in color A. Repeat from * across.
- Row 3: Knit *3 in color B, 1 in color A. Repeat from * across.
- Row 4: Purl 1 in color A, *1 in color B, 3 in color A. Repeat from * across, ending with 2 in color A.
- Continue in pattern 16 inches. Bind off in color A.
- Fold piece in half and sew side seams using mattress stitch.
Optional Button Strap:
If desired, work button flap by picking up and knitting 4 stitches on center back about 1.5 inches from the top edge, using color A. Work in Garter Stitch, changing colors every 2 rows, for 4 inches.
Knit 1, bind off 2, knit 1. Next row, knit 1, cast on 2 using backward loop method, knit 1.
Continue in pattern 1 more inch. Bind off.
Sew button in corresponding place on front of cozy.