This Garter Stitch Stripe Coaster is an easy way to liven up any table, whether for a 4th of July celebration or a birthday party. It's easy and quick to knit a bunch of these, whether they're all the same colors or you're using it as a stash-busting project. Either way it's a fun way to add some color to your table.
- about 24 yards total of medium weight yarn per coaster; I used about 8 yards each of red, white and blue Red Heart Super Saver, though you need slightly more of the outside color if you're starting and ending with the same color
- one pair size 7 US (5 mm) knitting needles
- scissors and yarn needle for finishing
16 stitches and 34 rows per 4 inches in Garter stitch (4 stitches and 8.5 rows per inch), though gauge is not critical
5 inches square
Knit the Coaster:
- Using red, or color of your choice, cast on 20 stitches. Knit 2 rows.
- Change to white or other color and knit 2 rows.
- Change to blue or other color and knit 2 rows.
- Continue in this manner, changing colors every 2 rows, until piece is roughly square. You can start and end with the same color or not, as you like.
- Bind off. Cut yarn and weave in ends.
Note: If you are repeating colors in your coaster it is not necessary to cut the yarn each time you change colors. Just carry the yarns up the side. The yarn stranding up the side becomes a decorative feature.