After knitting up a house scarf or another pattern inspired by the films and books of the Harry Potter series, odds are you'll have little bits of yarn left over.
Pick one color of yarn and in no time flat you'll have a cute bookmark perfect for whatever you're reading.
- a scrap of worsted-weight yarn in the "house color" of your choice (I used Gryffindor gold)
- one pair size 8 US needles
- crochet hook or tapestry needle
4 stitches and 5.5 rows per inch. Gauge is not critical.
Finished size is 1.5 inches wide by 9.5 inches long.
- Cast on 2 stitches.
- Knit in the front and back of each stitch--4 stitches.
- Next row and all wrong side rows: purl across, but knit the first and last stitch.
- Next row, knit in the front and back of the first and last stitch--6 stitches.
- Continue with 6 stitches and knit in stockinette stitch, remembering to knit the first and last stitch on each purl row, until piece measures 9 inches.
- On the next right side row, knit two together at the beginning and end of the row--4 stitches remain.
- Purl the next row as before, then knit two together twice on the next row--2 stitches left.
- Bind off, cut yarn and weave in ends.