Keep Your Basket Clean:
I love using a basket to hold my fresh produce; it just makes it look nicer and somehow makes me want to eat it more. This little basket liner can be used to line a basket holding fruit, bread, or anything else that need corralling.
The pattern stitch, Double Basket, gives the cloth lots of texture and makes an almost punny name: the Double Basket Liner.
- About 160 yards of worsted weight, 100 percent cotton yarn (for example, about two skeins of Lily Sugar 'n Cream; I used color 02510, Rosewood)
- one pair size 8 US needles
- Yarn needle
Eighteen stitches and 20 rows per four inches (4.5 stitches and 5 rows per inch) in pattern stitch. Gauge is not critical.
Finished size is 13.5 inches wide and 14.5 inches long.
- Cast on 64 stitches.
- Work in Double Basket pattern until piece measures around 14.5 inches.
- Bind off on the purl row (row 18).
- Cut yarn and weave in ends.