Sometimes a simple, unfussy staple is what is called for -- especially where the menfolk are concerned!
- 2 balls Elann.com Peruvian Highland Bulky in shade 0500 Black, or about 110 yards of bulky yarn of your choice
- 16 inch size 10 US (6 mm) circular needle
- 1 set size 10 US (6 mm) double-pointed needles, or long circular for magic loop
- Scissors, tape measure, yarn needle
3.5 stitches and 4 rows to 1 inch in Stockinette Stitch in the round.
Finished hat circumference: 20 inches, which will fit most adults
Sample knit by Eileen Casey
Knitting the Hat:
- Cast on 72 stitches, and join in round, being careful not to twist.
- Work in K3, P3 rib for 3 inches
- Work in Stockinette Stitch (every row knit) for 5 inches
Change to double-pointed needles when there are not sufficient stitches to continue work on the circular needle.
- Round 1: K4, K2tog around (60 stitches).
- Round 2: Knit.
- Round 3: K3, K2tog around (48 stitches).
- Round 4: Knit.
- Round 5: K2, K2tog around (36 stitches).
- Round 6: K1, K2tog around (24 stitches).
- Round 7: K2tog around (12 stitches).
- Thread yarn through remaining 12 stitches and pull tight to close top of crown. Weave in all ends.