This knit vest Christmas ornament or bag decoration is a super cute and easy knitting project that's ideal for using up tiny bits of yarn. Knit the project in stripes as shown for very small lengths or yarn, or use a solid color for your slightly larger (but still tiny) scrap balls.
Of course you could also make this a Christmas sweater by picking up stitches around the armholes and knitting on sleeves, but I actually think it's cuter in this sleeveless version.
- about 2 yards total of a variety of lightweight yarns in colors of your choice (I used green, red and blue)
- one set of 4 size 6 US double-pointed knitting needles
- scissors and yarn needle
Note: whatever color you are using for the top, you will need two small balls in order to separate the front and back after the armhole shaping.
About 5 stitches and 7 rows per inch in Stockinette Stitch in the round. Gauge is not critical.
Finished size is almost 3 inches tall and 2 inches wide across middle of vest.
Instructions for Vest Body:
- Cast on 20 stitches. Join in round, being careful not to twist. Place a stitch marker to mark the end of the row, if desired.
- Work in knit 1, purl 1 ribbing for 4 rounds.
- If knitting stripes, change color here and work in Stockinette Stitch for 5 rounds.
- Change colors again, if desired, and work in Stockinette Stitch for 5 rounds.