This Simple Striped Hat is a great introduction to knitting with two colors for someone who hasn't done it before. Change colors every round during the main body of the hat for a cute look that's really easy to do.
You can pick two shades that are pretty close together in color like I did or choose two with more contrast for a different look.
- about 52 (62, 71, 80, 84) yards of two colors of medium weight yarn (I used Red Heart Stitch Nation Bamboo Ewe in Eucalyptus and Mermaid); you'll need slightly more of color A than color B
- one set of size 8 US (5 mm) double-pointed knitting needles
- scissors and yarn needle
5 stitches and 7 rounds per inch in Stockinette Stitch in the round.
12 (14.5, 16, 17.5, 19) inches around; to fit a newborn (3-6 month old, 6-12 month old, toddler, child) Size shown is 3-6 months. Instructions are given for smallest size first with larger sizes in parentheses.
Instructions for Hat:
- Using color A, cast on 60 (72, 80, 88, 96) stitches. Divide onto three or four double-pointed needles and join in round.
- Using just color A, work knit 2, purl 2 ribbing for 4 rounds.
- Change to color B and Stockinette Stitch. Alternate colors every round until piece measures about 4.5 (5, 6, 7, 7.5) inches, ending with color A.
- Continue changing colors every round as the crown shaping begins. For newborn size, knit 4, knit 2 together around. All other sizes, knit 6, knit 2 together around. 50 (63, 70, 77, 84) stitches.
- Knit 2 rounds with no decreasing.
- For newborn size, knit 3, k2tog around; all other sizes, knit 5, k2tog around. 40 (54, 60, 66, 72) stitches.
- Knit 1 round.
- For newborn size, knit 2, k2tog around; all other sizes knit 4, k2tog around. 30 (45, 50, 55, 60) stitches.
- From here, work only with color B. For newborn size, knit 1, k2tog around; all other sizes knit 3, k2tog around. 20 (36, 40, 44, 48) stitches.
- Newborn size, k2tog around; all other sizes knit 2, k2tog around. 10 (27, 30, 33, 36) stitches.
- For newborn size, cut yarn, thread onto yarn needle and pull remaining stitches through. Weave in ends. For other sizes, knit 1, k2tog around. 18 (20, 22, 24) stitches.
- K2tog around. 9 (10, 11, 12) stitches.
- Cut yarn, thread onto a yarn needle, pull remaining stitches through and weave in ends.