This unbelievably cute intarsia cat will get your kid noticed! In fact, it's a pretty quick knit -- and once you have the cat chart completed, the rest is simple and plain sailing.
The cat's body is knit into the sweater, with the eyes, nose, whiskers and outlining added in duplicate stitch afterward.
Perfect as shown for Halloween, you could also use other colors to customize it for different holidays or use a child's favorite colors to make it a year-round sweater.The sample shown has a picot bind off at the neck as a little embellishment; for boys a regular bind off is fine.
- 2 (3, 3, 3) skeins Red Heart Soft Yarn in shade 4422 Tangerine, or approximately 400 (512, 640, 768, 896, 1024) yards of medium weight yarn of your choice
- 1 skein Red Heart Soft Yarn in shade 4614 Black for cat
- Small amounts of medium weight yarn in pink, green and light grey for face and outline (I used Caron Simply Soft in shade 0015 Strawberry, Red Heart Soft Yarn in shade 4420 Guacamole, and Caron Simply Soft in shade 9742 Grey Heather).
- 1 pair size US 7 (4.5 mm) knitting needles
- Size 7 US 16 inch circular needle
- Crochet hook for picking up stitches, in size smaller than US 7
- Scissors and yarn needle for finishing
- Stitch holders and safety pins
- Row counter
5 stitches and 6.5 rows per inch in stockinette stitch
2 years (3 years, 4 years, 5 years, 6 years, 7 years)
Chest size finished garment: 25 (26, 27, 28, 29, 30) inches
Length from back neck: 15 (15.5, 16, 16.5, 17, 17.5) inches
See schematic for more measurements
Sample knit in 3 years size, by Eileen Casey