Around the holidays and throughout the year, it's always a nice gesture to take a bottle of wine or spirits to someone's house when they have you over for dinner or a party. This simple wine bottle cozy adds to the gift with a cushy container they can carry other bottles of wine in, or gift forward to the next person whose home they're taking wine to.
The yarn, Red Heart Chic, is a super-bulky chenille novelty yarn that has pompoms worked right into the yarn, so you can knit and embellish all in one step. It's a fun choice for a wine cozy because it automatically makes your gift look more festive without any effort on your part, and the cozy chenille yarn actually offers a bit of padding for your bottle, which is nice.
This is a project you can easily make in an evening. Try it with other bulky novelty yarns, too.
- one skein Red Heart Boutique Chic (I used color 1901, Pimento)
- set of 4 size 10.5 US (6.5 mm) double-pointed knitting needles
- crochet hook
- length of ribbon, twine, raffia or yarn to close up bag
Gauge is not critical for this project, but I got about 7 stitches and 13 rows per 4 inches in Stockinette Stitch in the round.
Finished cozy is 12 inches tall and about 4 inches wide at the base. To fit wine or liquor bottles.
Knitting the Cozy:
- Cast on 3 stitches to one DPN.
- Knit in the front and back of each stitch, placing each pair of stitches on a new needle. 6 sts on 3 needles.
- Knit 1 round.
- Kfb of each stitch again. 12 sts.
- Knit 2 rounds.
- Kfb each stitch. 24 sts.
- Knit 1 round.
- Purl 1 round. (Note: if it happens that you have a pompom in your yarn at any point during the above instructions, cut it out and start knitting with a new length of yarn. This is the base of the bag and you'll want it to be flat.)
- Knit straight until piece measures 10 inches from purl round.
- *Knit 2 together, yarn over. Repeat from * around.
- Knit 2 inches.
- Bind off.
- Cut yarn and use crochet hook to weave in ends.
- Weave a length of ribbon in and out through the yarn over eyelets to create a tie.
About the Yarn
Red Heart Boutique Chic is an easy to work with, super bulky, chenille yarn with pompoms randomly inserted along the length of the yarn in the same color as the yarn itself.
The yarn comes in 60 yard skeins and, as of this writing, is available in eight colors. The ball band suggests using size 15 US (10 mm) knitting needles. It should be hand washed gently in cold water and left flat to dry.