A Different Rib:
Ribbing is a great addition to a sampler afghan since it's such a basic stitch pattern, but it is after all a little basic and boring for the knitter. Choosing something a little more entertaining like a Broken Rib makes the knitting more enjoyable and the finished product more interesting.
- about 100 yards of the worsted weight yarn of your choice (I used Plymouth Encore color 1231
- one pair size 8 US knitting needles
- scissors and yarn needle
21 stitches per 4 inches, or 5.25 stitches per inch.
12 by 12 inch block.
- Cast on 63 stitches.
- Work in Broken Rib as follows:
Row 1: Knit.
Row 2: Purl 1, *knit 1, purl 1. Repeat from * across.
- Continue in stitch pattern until piece measures 12 inches.
- Bind off in pattern. Weave in ends.