Cute and Colorful:
This tiny American flag is just the thing to wear on any patriotic holiday. You could also use it as part of your decoration for the Fourth of July, Memorial Day, or any other holiday where you fly the flag.
It would also be adorable on a scrapbooking page having to do with one of those holidays.
It's a cinch to knit with scraps of red, white and blue worsted-weight yarn.
- small scraps, fewer than five yards each, of red, white and blue worsted weight yarn
- one pair size 7 US needles
- crochet hook or yarn needle
Four stitches and six rows per inch in stockinette stitch. Gauge is not critical.
Finished size is just over three inches wide and two inches tall.
- Cast on 12 stitches in red, using the long-tail method.
- Purl one row.
- Switching to white, knit one row and purl one row.
- Switching back to red, knit one row and purl one row.
- Knit seven stitches in white and five stitches in blue. Purl a row in the same manner.
- Knit seven stitches in red and five stitches in blue. Purl a row in the same manner.
- Bind off using red and blue. To make the colors line up a little better, knit the last red stitch in blue as you bind off.
- Cut excess yarn and weave in ends.
About the Pattern:
In this pattern the cast-on edge is used as a row of knitting so that the first stripe is not wider than the others. Thus you start knitting on what will become the wrong side of the fabric.
To wear the project as a pin, slide a safety pin into the back of the work.