Wearing o' the Green:
If you want to get into the spirit of St. Patrick's Day without dressing in green from head to toe, try pinning on this cute green felted Irish rose.
It's a simple Stockinette Stitch strip sewn into a rosette and lightly felted. It takes no time at all to put together and makes a cute and unique accessory.
- a small remnant of dark green, 100 percent wool yarn, about 10 yards (I used Valley Yarns Northampton in Pine)
- one pair size 9 US needles
- yarn needle
- sink with hot water for hand felting
- safety pin or pin back
4.5 stitches and 5 rows per inch in Stockinette Stitch before felting. Gauge is not critical.
Finished size will depend on how you shape it and how long you felt it. Mine is about 2 inches tall and 7 inches around counting the indentations around the edge.
- Cast on 12 stitches.
- Knit in Stockinette Stitch for 16 inches.
- Bind off. Cut yarn, leaving a long tail.
- Weave in cast on end.
- Thread tail through yarn needle and sew your strip into a rosette shape.
- Felt by hand to desired size. Shape and allow to dry.
- Pin a safety pin or pin back to the back of the flower.