Handy for Halloween Handouts:
This super-cute Halloween bag is the perfect thing to collect treats in (or distribute them from) on the night of fright. It's very easy to knit up and decorate with your own Jack-o'-lantern face, then felt and cut a slit for the handles.
It could even be used as a purse or tote bag, but if you prefer a fall accessory that doesn't scream seasonal, knit the same bag without the stitching, or make it in stripes of orange and brown or your other favorite fall colors.
- two skeins Lion Wool by Lion Brand in Pumpkin, or about 240 yards of your favorite medium weight wool
- a small amount of medium weight wool in black
- one set size 10.5 US circular needles, with a 16-inch cable
- yarn needle
- supplies for felting
15 stitches per 4 inches (3.75 stitches per inch) in Stockinette Stitch. Gauge is not critical.
Felted bag is 11 inches wide and 11 inches tall.
- Cast on 17 stitches.
- Knit in Stockinette Stitch until piece measures 12 inches.
- Pick up and knit one stitch for every other row on the long sides of the piece you just knit, and one stitch for every stitch on the short end.
- Work in Stockinette Stitch in the round for 15 inches.
- Bind off and weave in ends.
- Using black yarn and duplicate stitch, stitch a Jack-o'-lantern face on one side of the bag (or both if you like). Mine was done without a pattern and can be seen in more detail in the second picture above. Start your fave about five inches down from the top of the bag if you want to cut slits for handles.