1. Home

Sarah E. White

My Massive Stash Busting Garter Stitch Project of the Year

By January 31, 2013

I said earlier this week that later this week I'd be sharing a pattern for a circular Garter Stitch Cowl.

garter stitch blanketMy Garter Stitch Blanket in progress. Sarah E. White.

I was totally kidding. Some deadline knitting popped up and I haven't finished that one yet, but I'll get it to you next week.

Instead, I wanted to share with you another of my explorations in Garter Stitch, one that I hope will clear up my excess oddball/stash problem for a little while.

I'm working on a Garter Stitch Blanket that I hope when completed will measure about six feet square. I started it around the first of the year and work on it in dribs and drabs, when I don't feel like doing anything else. It's completely mindless knitting of the most wonderful sort.

What I'm doing is working in strips, alternating between 12 stitches wide and 24 stitches wide. In the center I may do a wider strip; I haven't decided yet and I'm a long way from needing to. I'm joining the pieces as I go and I'm knitting pretty much every inch of yarn other than what's needed to weave in the ends, so there are partial rows and some color changes happen on both sides of the blanket.

It's going to be crazy and huge and colorful and wonderful. Small though it is (well, the strips I've done are 6 feet long, of course, but I'm only on the third strip so it's just about a foot wide) it's already keeping me warm as I knit. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Though it will probably take me all year.

Have you ever done any giant stash busting projects like this? I'd love to hear about it!

Comments

February 1, 2013 at 9:37 am
(1) Monica says:

I have a giant Sock Yarn Granny Square that I’m working on. OK, OK; it’s crochet but it’s still a Stash Buster!!

February 4, 2013 at 3:05 pm
(2) Charmaine says:

Hi..Yes, I’ve done a huge garter stitch use-up-the-stash afghans. I loved it, every minute of the “mindless” rows of garter stitch while I tried to work out all the problems in my life. It is very soothing to the nerves and beautifully simple. My afghan is huge. I used size 10 bamboo straight needles and cast on 60 for each “strip”….making each about 6 ft. long. When 4 of them were complete, I crocheted the strips together using a turquoise yarn. I’ve also made a few scrap yarn afghans by just using circular needles and casting on about 200, then there is no need to sew or crochet the strips together, but, either way, you can’t beat this kind of “blankie.” !! To me, it is relaxing to not have to count or keep track of a complicated pattern. LOVE it.

February 5, 2013 at 9:07 pm
(3) Barbara says:

I once made a huge afghan for my son in which I used all the leftovers. It was crocheted in a stitch called the Crazy shell. Worked from just one shell at the beg. corner and shells added eadh row until desired width. If I ever do it again, I’ll be more careful about what colors are allowed. It was warm and well used, but never very visually pleasing. Pink and turquoise and brown along with primaries!

December 30, 2013 at 5:31 pm
(4) Tina says:

I like the idea, how about changing it up and doing 3 or 5 ( I like odd numbers) different stitches, changing with the coor changes.

December 30, 2013 at 5:45 pm
(5) Sandy says:

Are you using the same weight yarn through out or does it vary, say from 3ply, worsted to bulky? Or is it better to stick with all one weight? Thanks

December 31, 2013 at 10:13 am
(6) knitting says:

Nice idea, Tina! I’m just keeping it really simple so I don’t have to think at all. ;)

Sandy, it’s mostly medium weight, but there’s a little lighter and a little heavier, too. As long as it’s not so different that you are getting what looks like holey fabric from using finer yarn with bigger needles I think you’re OK.