1. Home

Sarah E. White

The Perfect Knitting Needle

By January 19, 2013

Sometimes I think I participate in the Readers' Choice Awards for entirely selfish reasons. Yes, I love giving you a voice and letting you share your favorites, and also hearing about products and people you love that I might not have been exposed to before.

readers choice

But sometimes I just need new knitting needles.

I have been suffering through a series of catastrophic failures when it comes to interchangeable knitting needles lately. I broke a Zephyr needle clean in half. I have at least one cable where the metal part you screw the needle into is separating from the cable. One Harmony has pulled out of its metal end; two Denises are stuck in their cables and I can't get them out. I have another set I never seem to be able to get the points properly installed on the cables.

I bought a new set of fixed circulars for myself for Christmas. I've used one of them so far, and it was nice, but for some reason the set came with a size 10.75 and no size 7, the needle I probably use the most often. I just can't win.

So I need some advice. What needles do you love best? I want to hear who you think makes the most reliable, easiest to use, nicest needles. Whether you like circulars, straights, interchangeables or all of the above, I want to hear what you think. And if you can easily do a purl 2 together through the back loop with them, I definitely want to hear that!

Comments

January 19, 2013 at 3:49 pm
(1) Lynn says:

I learned to knit on Addi circulars, so that’s all I ever use. I have such a large collection now that buying the interchangeables would, for me, be a waste of money.

January 19, 2013 at 8:56 pm
(2) Hamimono says:

I’m eclectic. In general, I use circs for everything, double circs for socks, with dpn exceptions for tops of hats or specialty projects. I began on Clover fixed bamboo circs because they were really cheap, but I still use them a lot! Sturdy and get the job done. I have a full set of Knitpicks Harmony interchangeable circs and have never had an issue of the cables separating loose during knitting. Probably I use them the most. I like how pointy they are but admit that I avoid them when the yarn is dark or multicolored. Thinking of getting the new blond wood Sunstruck interchangeables. I own and use various lengths and sizes of Addi Turbos. Like, but sometimes find them too slippery. Have tried the Zephyr and other acrylics. Not fond. I guess I like the warmth and stick-iness of wood best.

January 19, 2013 at 10:59 pm
(3) michelle Lopez says:

I’m loving the Denise, I didn’t think I would like the plastic after learning on boyes but they have been great.

January 20, 2013 at 9:13 am
(4) Cydney Yerushalmi says:

I prefer interchangeables and of those, I prefer Hiya Hiya sharps and Ciaogoo bamboo needles. I do enjoy my Harmonies, but the separation of the cables from the metal tab and the needles from the metal tab is frequent and annoying. I like interchangeables because I can travel and have every needle I need, in case I happen to find yarn.

January 21, 2013 at 8:42 am
(5) Priscilla Kelly says:

I use Addi Natural (bamboo) love them. Stitches don’t slide off, my fingers are slow and that helps. Also use Addi Turbos the lace points will do anything you want. I use circular needles ,one long one for socks works great, even two socks a a time. Just wish I could afford one of each of Addi circulars!

January 21, 2013 at 10:03 am
(6) Deb says:

I love bamboo needles for the feel. I have a Denise set which is great but the plastic eventually got brittle and I have broken some of the needles. The joins aren’t very smooth either. Recently treated myself to Harmony interchangeable set and am very happy with it.

January 21, 2013 at 10:34 am
(7) Monica says:

I love my KnitPicks circular needles, interchangable and fixed. I have had the odd cable pull out and admitedly it was my most frequently used sock cable needle; the one that travels with me to work everyday and gets twisted and untiwsted and stuffed into things and generally abused so I took some craft glue and glued it back together and haven’t had a problem since.

January 21, 2013 at 11:55 am
(8) chris says:

I love the Addi Turbo lace tips, but I just bought a 4.5mm 16 inch ChiaoGoo lace tips, and they seem to be just as smooth and much cheaper. But my experience is the smoothest and nicest are the Addi.

January 21, 2013 at 1:29 pm
(9) Aunt Flunky says:

I’ve switched to Chiagoo interchangeables and cant imagine what would make me go to anything else. They are Perfect ( for me anyway)

January 22, 2013 at 1:55 pm
(10) Anne says:

I have used Addi fixed and interchangeable (don’t like the joins, but the needles are fast), Denise (used them as a beginner, never touch them now), KnitPicks (like the points, but have had them come undone, and in the case of Harmony, one broke – the fixed circulars in size 1 are my magic loop sock needles), Chiagoo (sure i spelled this wrong! Fine points, but cable too stiff on the sock size circulars), Signatures (invested in two, very expensive, good but not my favorites), HiyaHiya (fine but points not sharp enough for manipulating stitches), and my very favorite HiyaHiya sharps (good smooth joins, great points).