1. Home

Sarah E. White

Knitting in the Dark

By January 31, 2009

knit in the dark sweater
Garter Stitch Sweater in progress, knit mostly in the dark. Photo (c) Sarah E. White.

It's kind of ironic that my last blog post was a poll asking about knitting in a dark place, because since Tuesday afternoon I've been in a dark place, namely my house, where the power went out after a major ice storm.

We didn't have it too badly; our family and animals were all safe and we have a gas fireplace for warmth (and there are still at least 100,000 people in my area without power), but I of course wasn't able to access the Internet or do much work of any kind while the power was down.

What I could do a lot of was knit. I worked up several swatches for yarn reviews (stay tuned for those later today and tomorrow) and did a lot of work on the Garter Stitch sweater pictured above. It's completely simple, perfect for knitting in the dark, but it should make a nice first sweater project, too, for people who are wary of the seeming complexity of sweaters. Look for that to be done in the coming weeks.

Isn't it great to have a hobby you really can do anywhere?

Comments

January 31, 2009 at 1:54 pm
(1) JoAnn says:

Wondered what happened. Part of my daily routine is to check your site. The ice storm last week has left so many in KY without power. That happened to people in New England recently. What a winter!
Welcome back!

January 31, 2009 at 2:01 pm
(2) Anne Maurer says:

Did you know that there are lighted knitting needles? I have a pair. They have little lights on the points so that yo can see what you’re knitting, even in the dark. I think they’re made by Lion Brand.

January 31, 2009 at 4:11 pm
(3) gae says:

I am so sorry your with out power ,But as you know knitting is so relaxing. But I love to knit bu candle light jus to relax when its a simple project and you dont have a stitch pattern thats intircate, best of luck keep warm

January 31, 2009 at 4:58 pm
(4) Patti says:

Sorry to hear about your electricity. I had wondered if that is why I hadn’t seen any blog entries for a few days. We live in Fort Smith, and feel very lucky to have barely missed most of the ice. Our power was out for about 5 hours early Tuesday morning. Please contact me if there is anything I can do to help you through this disaster.

January 31, 2009 at 7:11 pm
(5) Carol says:

Glad you’re OK; I was beginning to worry.

Like Anne, I like the lighted needles, too. I wonder when we’ll get lighted circular needles. A little clip-on book light works well, too.

February 2, 2009 at 1:01 pm
(6) Mousepotato says:

Just as well you were stuck at home without power, knitting in the dark, y’all have too much trouble driving in the snow and ice. This has been a tough winter for a lot of areas. I’m sure our Mass Electric folks are returning the favor to your area after your electric companies were up here in December. And since it appears they decided the groundhog saw his shadow today, we’ve got 6 more weeks of hard winter.

February 2, 2009 at 1:31 pm
(7) Sarah E. White says:

You’re probably right about that, Mouse. I know the people who actually got our power back on were from Mississippi, and I’ve seen tree removal people in my neighborhood from Minnesota; I’m sure there are people from farther away here, too.

Glad you missed out on the fun, Patti. We’re mostly back to normal in the cities, but some people in outlying areas are being told they might not have power for three weeks.

And thanks all for the kind words; it’s nice to be missed, though not nice to be gone!

February 4, 2009 at 2:15 pm
(8) Carol Cromwell says:

I wasn’t aware that your site and blog wasn’t online last week, as I was without power as well since last Tues. morning. We did stay in the house, which is all electric with out a fireplace, etc, for three days, then found a hotel. But, while I was waiting for the lights to come back on, I was knitting in the dark. It was something to do, at least, as we couldn’t do much more. I’m surprised that you must live in my area of KY. Glad to know I have a knitting friend in my area. Don’t know of any others, my friends don’t knit or crochet. I hope you are doing well now, we are, we are back in our home and nice and warm. Thank Heavens.

February 4, 2009 at 4:13 pm
(9) knitting says:

Carol, I’m actually in Arkansas. We got the storm before we sent it on to you :) Hope the time was at least productive and that you’re recovering well.