1. Home

Sarah E. White

Do You Sell Your Knitting?

By December 9, 2008

After last week's question about buying homemade, it seemed appropriate this week to ask about selling homemade. We'll leave whether you sell other crafts you make to another poll, but this week I want to know if you have ever sold any of your knitting.

Whether you sell at a craft fair, church bazaar, Etsy shop or to family and friends, I'd love to hear about it. And if you make a living selling knits, we'd all love to hear about that!

Comments

December 9, 2008 at 7:29 pm
(1) Carol Roberts says:

People ask me all the time why I don’t sell what I knit. As an independent contractor (book indexing), my time is worth about $60 an hour. I can’t get enough for a knitted item to make it pay at least as well as my regular work. The cottage industry concept will work for some people, but it just doesn’t work for me.

Cheers,
Carol

December 10, 2008 at 10:35 am
(2) Linda says:

I find that people really don’t want to pay what handmade items are worth. I made a baby afghan for someone at work one time and I only got 5 or 10 dollars more than what the yarn cost. I get more enjoyment from knitting gifts for people who appreciate them and know the value of a handmade item.

December 11, 2008 at 12:48 am
(3) Leslie says:

I’ve been asked to sell things I’ve knitted, but they’ve been in use. I designed and copyrighted a scarf pattern that others are making and selling – violating my copyright – but they really aren’t charging enough even to pay themselves a decent wage – I don’t have the heart to go after them.

December 15, 2008 at 11:31 am
(4) Barbara says:

I don’t knit much as I am not that good at it. I made several very simple, long scarves, garter stitch in Homespun and they looked nice. I made them for a charity event and put on a price of $12.00. They sold so I guess people liked that look more than my trendier crochet scarves:-)

December 15, 2008 at 11:46 am
(5) Jean Woodard says:

I designed a wrap for my daughter (I later learned this type of wrap is called a ruana)which I crocheted since I am a very slow knitter. One of her co-workers liked it so well that she had me make five for her at $50.00 each. I’ve also made several as gifts for family members. I was thrilled to know I could make something that someone would buy. I figure I earned nearly $1.00 an hour.

December 15, 2008 at 6:17 pm
(6) Lucy T says:

I make fun fur scarves, baby afghans, hats. I sell the scarves. I do a craft fair once a year and also sell to family and friends. I charge $20 a scarf and keep half, which just about covers the cost, and the rest goes to my Business and Professional Women’s scholarship fund. It’s how we raise money for it. My friend also knits them and we have done real well in the three years we have been doing it.

December 15, 2008 at 6:40 pm
(7) Katie says:

I started selling knit items when I was 12. I found that I can’t make a living at selling knitting but it is a nice source of a little extra money. I have a set formula for what I charge for hand knitting and it more than covers my cost, but if it comes to $1 per hour, I would be thrilled. I once knit a sweater and figured that I made 15 cents an hour. That’s when I bought a knitting machine, used it for twenty years and was able to make a decent living that way while I was a stay-at-home mom. I now have other employment but still do requests from former customers. I love to knit and sells some of it supports my habit.

December 20, 2008 at 2:48 pm
(8) Camille says:

Hi, I’m always interested in other business owners, I run a small transcription service for courts and lawyers in MA. What is book indexing? I’m always interested in other businesses.
Camille
Happy Holidays

September 9, 2011 at 6:58 am
(9) Wilma says:

I’ve been selling knitted dishcloths at a local farmer’s market one day per week through the summer. I’ve tried other things and sometimes potholders will sell too, but rarely will they buy anything else. I only get $2 for the dishcloths which barely covers the price of my yarn. I tried $3 each, but they wouldn’t pay it. I thought cooler weather would improve my sales, but instead we got even less customers so I’m quitting and giving my stuff to friends and family.

January 21, 2013 at 12:47 pm
(10) Cathy says:

I do a lot of homemade knitting and crocheting its my hobby I do sell a little bit my prices aren’t to high gets me mad when they want it cheap I sell it at a fleamarket

March 6, 2014 at 3:44 pm
(11) Barbara says:

I have been knitting since I was 12 years old. I started up knitting this past two years and have sold about 20 scarves. I enjoy making the different patterns and I sell alot of my scarves on Etsy and Ebay. I am currently retired and I found knitting to be very relaxing. I do wish people would understand the value and the time it takes to make a beautiful and fashionable scarf.

March 11, 2014 at 7:52 am
(12) Heather says:

would love to sell as all the money goes to a good cause but don’t know where to start, Tried ebay but got nowhere.

April 20, 2014 at 6:41 am
(13) Sheree says:

I’ve been asked to make an afghan for a church auction. I can tell them the amount I spent on yarn, etc and price out for my time. The bid will start at half that amount. I’m a little nervous because what I want to make will cost about $70-80 alone and is a pattern for advance skill level, very detailed. ‘the thought that it could go for so low concerns me. How do you price out for your time? Any advice?

April 21, 2014 at 2:23 pm
(14) knitting says:

If it’s for an auction you would hope that people would be more generous than just the cost of the yarn, but it is really tricky to figure out how much your time is worth in terms of knitting. I’d say at the very least $10 an hour but there’s a huge amount of variation depending on the complexity of the stitch, the size, etc. Hopefully some other people can chime in, too!