1. Home

Sarah E. White

How Do You Store Yarn?

By October 22, 2008

Not too long ago I asked a question about where people store yarn, and it turned a bit into a conversation about how yarn is stored in your home. This week I wanted to look a little more specifically about exactly how you keep your yarn stash under control.

I take an "all of the above" approach, storing the bulk of my yarn in baskets (some with lids, some without) and plastic storage boxes in the closet. But half of my wooden filing cabinet (as well as the bottom shelves of the secretary I use as a desk) are filled with yarn, and there are several bags from various knitting shops around the office as well.

If you've got a great storage solution, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it!

Comments

October 22, 2008 at 6:45 pm
(1) Norma says:

I have a three tiered wire basket mounted on a post that I store colorful yarn in which I originally used to store vegetables.

October 23, 2008 at 9:45 am
(2) Kris says:

I store my sock yarn in 2 large cotton knitting bags and the rest of my stash is in a large Chinese rosewood chest in my living room where it hangs out with my neglected cross stitch supplies.

October 23, 2008 at 11:01 am
(3) Hillary says:

A great way to store yarn is (Hefty)ZipLoc storage bags. The storage bags come in sizes. After you place your yarn in the storage bag, squeeze out all the air and ZipLoc closed! Works like a charm. Keeps the yarn fresh, clean and insect free.

October 23, 2008 at 11:04 pm
(4) Marge says:

I store most of my yarn in plastic storage bins, out of the sunlight, but where I can see them. In addition, I have some yarn, as projects, in hat boxes, which also make attractive thingys around the house. Finally, I keep yarn in a basket to stay inspired. And finally, finally, there are the zip lock bag projects ready to grab and go.

October 24, 2008 at 12:42 pm
(5) Cynthia says:

I have rubermaid boxes I store under my bed, and in my closet.

October 26, 2008 at 11:49 am
(6) angel says:

I wind yarn onto spools that I have made out of PVC and small butter dish lids then I store the spools on a rack that I made out of 2×3′s and dowel rods. I also store yarn in wide mouth jars with holes cut in the lid of a butter bowl and placed under the ring so that you can pull yarn through without your ball rolling all over the floor.

October 26, 2008 at 4:43 pm
(7) Betty says:

I purchased a hanging rectangular shoe storage unit. It has 20 semi-rigid sections where you would normally place a pair of shoes. It hangs in a closet and displays my skeins where I can find what I want.

October 27, 2008 at 12:43 pm
(8) Frieda says:

My husband built open shelves from nice wood, floor to ceiling; my stash is sorted by weight-type and just piled onto the shelves; nothing is hidden from view and is visible from my bed as I awake each morning.

October 28, 2008 at 12:36 am
(9) Beverly says:

I bought tall garbage containers on wheels and store them in my cellar and they hold a lot of yarn. I also have some in the tub containers with tight fitting lids.

January 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm
(10) cathy says:

I have a finished attic storage area, free from dust/insects, but it does get warm. Would it be okay to store yarn here, I have a great idea for cubicles with bins in them. I could add cedar to the back…

November 15, 2012 at 12:04 pm
(11) Karen says:

Since I am allergic to cedar, what can I use in its place?

Karen